Thursday, March 5, 2009

When and where it all began

To put The Himalayan Project into context and give you a little history of how it all began, let me begin the story of my love affair with Nepal and the Himalayas. In 1997-1998, my husband Peter and I left two businesses behind and pulled our two teenage boys, Todd 17 and Ben 15, out of school and backpacked around the world for a year. It was a total leap of faith, but I trusted that the value of exposing us all to the incredible richness of diversity in the world would far outweigh the mountains of risks that we faced! In my own life very often I fear what is unknown, and rather than be held captive by that fear, I tried bravely to meet it head-on and then move gracefully (or not so) beyond it into the gorgeous, raw, vibrating, sensual, pulsating nakedness of the world. I wanted to set my gypsy blood on fire! I didn't want to get stuck in the old paradigm of spending the first half of my life trying to figure out what I wanted to do with the second half of my life and then spend the second half of my life wondering what the heck happened in the first half?!*#! So off we went into the wild blue yonder with ne'ry a reservation anywhere in the world......

As soon as we landed in Kathmandu I felt something bubbling up inside me but I just couldn't put my finger on anything specific. It wasn't just the wailing horns, the ringing bells or the pounding drums sounding like a cosmic orchestra tuning up for a nocturnal performance. It was a far deeper sensation that I was feeling, something far more cellular. There was almost a genetic recognition of something from long, long ago.....

Within days of our arrival in Nepal, we flew up into the heart of the Himalayas. As my feet touched the ground I had an instantaneous shock of electricity run through my body. I was standing on incredibly ancient earth and feeling completely dwarfed by the mesmerizing presence of the highest mountains in the world. I literally fell to my knees to acknowledge this sacred moment...a fleeting moment that changed the direction of my life.

With an invitation to interact directly and deeply within the Sherpa community, my family and I engaged in an upclose and personal experience that forever changed our views of the world. After developing a dialogue with the Headmaster of the local Sherpa school, I realized that I had the potential to help make a difference even in this remote part of the world. I wasn't interested in charging forward and throwing funds at the school to build upon their dreams, but rather to provide seed money that would then empower the School Committee and Headmaster to engage the local community who could then take ownership of the school project.....or the monastery project.....or whatever idea that we all came to a consensus on. Hopefully, over the past 5 years The Himalayan Project has not only provided a practical, tangible way to have an impact among indigeneous people of the Himalaya, but also has provided them with tools that can enhance their ability to learn and to educate themselves in order to improve their standard of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment